Thursday, November 15, 2007

Its so much more than sheep lung

What is the definition of haggis? Well. Merriam-Webster defines it as "a traditionally Scottish dish that consists of the heart, liver, and lungs of a sheep or a calf minced with suet, onions, oatmeal, and seasonings and boiled in the stomach of the animal ." Now I've heard that it actually tastes quite delicious but the only haggis I ever want to hear about is a band from Toronto named Enter The Haggis.


As I was looking at one of my favorite band's (Gaelic Storm) myspace page, I saw ETH in bright lights. I thought, " What the heck gotta find something to blog about anyway" , clicked on the link and found a group that turned out to be a class project and band to add to the repertoire.

The band's website says the piper of the band formed them in the late nineties in an effort to try to make some money after Craig Downie's, the piper, fledgling acting career. The website says at the time of the band's inception Downie was listening to a lot of Celtic-rock infused sounds and thus, the base of the band's sound was found. But the line isn't drawn there, ETH loves to mix in bluegrass, jazz and even some Latin flavor to their sound. I think a great example of this is the song One Last Drink. To me, after the a capella intro the drums come in with an almost calypsoesque rhythm . The fiddle and pipes keeps the group grounded in their Celtic roots, but are able to expand out to other styles. By the way, please don't get confused while watching the video. Yes, that is Kelly Rippa, not a leprechaun.

So if the heart, liver and lungs of sheep aren't your thing, that's alright. But don't confuse them with Enter The Haggis. Try them out and see if one of their many different styles suits your fancy.

I found this site by visiting Gaelic Storm's myspace page.

1 comment:

Ginger Whitaker said...

Westbrook - I found your story very humorously written and that picture of the haggis is...interesting. I like the introduction to your story, starting with the description of the dish and the transition into the band. You also went back to the dish in the end. Having heard the band's music, I definitely think they are a good find. I'd be interested to know where the band is from. I like your conversational writing style and all the links that you've included.